One of the problems of a voracious reader

The other night I'm happily reading a book. I was ready for a new mystery and this was proving enjoyable. As I got further into the book, I start thinking to myself, "Gee, this seems a lot like another book I've read. You would have thought the similarities between the two would have been mentioned in the somewhat extensive introduction." I chalk it up to an interesting, yet inconsequential coincidence and keep reading.

I reach a part that is particularly exciting and continue to feel as though it really is very similar to another book. Well, I think it is similar until I get to a part and suddenly realize I know exactly what is going to happen. I am proved correct as I continue reading and slowly have to face the fact. I have read this book before.

I have no recollection of having read it before, but since I exhibit ESP in no other realm of my life, I have to assume that I have. As I continue to read the book, I remember details as I get to them, but still have no idea how it will end. It is a very odd feeling of not knowingly knowing what is going to happen. It's a little unsettling.

And it has happened before.

More than once.

One time I suggested a title for a book club because I thought it sounded interesting and I had always wanted to read it. Evidently I wanted to read it so much that I already had and didn't figure it out until about a third of the way through, very much like my current book.

When I expressed concern to J. over the state of my mental healthy, he pointed out that it didn't seem surprising. I read so much, so fast that sometimes something doesn't stick. At least, as far as I know, I have never done this a third time to the same book.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This happens to me too. And I dislike this feeling of deja vu so when it feels too familiar I just put it down.
grtlyblesd said…
LOL! I've done that, too. :)
Lucy said…
That happens to me with movies. But usually I forget that I've seen them because they were so uninteresting. If it's really good, I usually remember having seen it.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain