Quarantine

Now, I know you have all read about the nurse fighting the quarantine order in Maine. It is a serious topic and the debate and tension between individual freedom and corporate responsibility is not one to take lightly. There is always a tension between what is good for the individual and what is good for society as a whole. I do not take these ideas lightly.

That said, am I the only person who hears '21-day quarantine' and thinks, "Who the heck doesn't go for that?"

Think about it. Twenty-one days where you cannot leave your home. That's twenty-one days of not having to drive to classes and doctor's appointments. Twenty-one days of not having to go to the grocery store. Twenty-one days of not having to run errands. Twenty-one days of not having to go to meetings. Doesn't that sound wonderful?

Think of what I could do! My mental list of projects that I never get to is long. There are sewing projects, knitting and crochet projects, organizing projects, redecorating projects... the list is almost never ending. I'm also pretty sure I am well-stocked enough that I could make a huge dent in many of these without ever needing to leave my house to go get needed supplies.

And the reading... Even if I had no warning and couldn't stock up on books, I think I would still be OK. There are more than a few books on our shelves that I still need to read. For instance the multi-book historical fiction series by Dorothy Dunnett, The Lymond Chronicles. I've already read her House of Niccolo series and love it. The trouble is, I haven't been quite ready to devote the months it will take to one series. A twenty-one day quarantine would make a good start.

Food could be an issue, though I'm assuming that it could be delivered. If not, I'm pretty sure I have enough in my pantry and freezer to get through 21 days. It might not be terribly interesting at the end, but I wouldn't starve. I also wouldn't be putting on fancy dinner parties.

Truly, what's not to like about the whole quarantine-thing? Sign me up. I guess the next best thing to wish for is a blizzard causing us all to be housebound for a while.

(Here is the disclaimer that I know I need to write so that we can avoid any misunderstandings and unpleasantness. I am joking. OK, not joking about how much I would enjoy this, but joking that on some level Ebola, people dying, potential and actual epidemics, and curtailment of freedom is not serious. I know it is. You know it, too. But it does help to be able to laugh at things every now and again. Even [especially?] if they are not funny.)

Comments

Csmithfamily09 said…
We must think alike because I thought exactly the same thing, a 3 week vacation from life?, if it came without the risk of death I would be the first to sign up. Break quarantine, heck I would be faking a fever on day 21 to extend it a few more days.
sandwichinwi said…
Would the kids be quarantined, too??????
grtlyblesd said…
Oh that does sound lovely!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain